HOW IT WORKS
1. All contestants are responsible for their own grills, charcoal, cooking utensils, ingredients and presentation dishes for the public. A minimum of 24 dozen oysters per category must be presented. In addition to all cooking utensils, tablecloth and coolers are needed to participate.
2. The Hangout will supply all oysters for the competition.
3. The Hangout will provide all napkins, plates and eating utensils for the public. One 6ft table, a 10x10ft tent and a trash receptacle will be furnished for each team.
4. A representative from each team will be required to attend one mandatory competitor meeting at 8 p.m. on Friday, Nov 1 or 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, Nov 2. If a participating team fails to attend at least one of the meeting sessions, they will not be eligible to compete.
5. Official start time for the event is 11 a.m., November 2, 2019
6. All teams are required to be on site by 9 a.m. Teams are required to be set up and “ready to serve” by 10 a.m. on November 2, 2019
7. All judging is final.
8. Each participant will be required to cook a minimum of twenty-four (24) dozen of each category for public tasting. Depending on the number of participating teams and the amount of people attending, the number of prepared oysters can fluctuate at the discretion of The Hangout.
9. All contestants are to be in compliance with all health departments regulations. The Hangout will provide ice. Teams must provide the correct storage and storage containers for the oysters, including any preparatory items.
10. Each team will display a “consumption of raw seafood” notice at their table. These will be supplied by The Hangout.
11. There will be no outside beverages brought into The Hangout. Any team serving alcohol to guests will be removed from the event without refund.
12. In the event of inclement weather, the Oyster Cook-Off may be cancelled. If cancellation occurs, all entry fees will be refunded to the teams.
13. Teams are encouraged to decorate their tents a chance to win the prize for ‘Best Booth.’
Winner will be decided by the general public. The public can purchase tickets and sample each team’s oysters. The team that collects the most tickets will be the Favorite Restaurant.
Oysters will be voted on by an esteemed group of award winning chefs based on taste, appearance and quality of ingredients.
Attendees will vote on their favorite oysters in each category crowning a People’s Choice winner in each oyster style.
The top 5 finalists, as voted on by the public, will be judged by an esteemed panel of 8 chefs, writers and oyster experts, to determine the overall winner, based on:
(1/4 total points)
(1/2 total points)
HOW OYSTERS ARE JUDGED
Each team will prepare their version of the classic Oyster Rockefeller.
GULF COAST CAJUN:
Teams are required to use any variation of their take on Cajun flavor from the Gulf Coast. Meat, cheeses and spices are encouraged.
CREATE YOUR OWN RAW OYSTER:
Just like it says, make this oyster yours and take home bragging rights for the best oyster in this Oyster Cook-Off, as long as it’s RAW.